HMRC have announced that VAT payments due between 20 March 2020 and 30 June 2020 will automatically be deferred to help businesses.
- This therefore includes the VAT Return payments due for the periods ended 29 February, 31 March and 30 April 2020 and any VAT Payments on Account due in that period.
- VAT returns should be prepared and submitted as normal by the due date.
- This will be applied automatically, there is no need to call HMRC to apply for the deferral.
- Tax payers will be given until 5 April 2021 to pay any VAT liabilities that have accumulated during the deferral period.
- If you are due a refund on your VAT return, HMRC will process these refunds as normal.
Where you pay by Direct Debit – If you have a direct debit set up to take VAT payments automatically, you will need to cancel this to make sure that the payment is not made to HMRC as soon as possible.